Thursday, September 1, 2011

Irenians.


Children of the storm.

Well, it wasn't quite as bad as all that (but doesn't "Irenian refugees" just sound desperately romantic?). We were very fortunate to sustain no damage to house or cars or selves. We even got to host a refugee from New York City for a couple of days and really enjoyed her company. We slept all downstairs the night the hurricane hit and woke up to the wind and rain. We ate pancakes cooked over our gas stove and sang songs on the ol' guitar.

But we are still without power. I have headed north to the great state of New Hampshire where my parents' home sits as a place of refuge and rest. And I can access the Internet. I felt rather like an addict as I logged into Facebook for the first time and drooled a little. Oh, sweet, instant gratification!

I hope you are all safe and well. My one recommendation: Next time, stock up on candles. Their light is far superior to any noisy generator or waning flashlight.

No comments: