Saturday, December 17, 2011

for my uncle, who died suddenly one night.



“These souls cannot think,‘I am here, and justly so because of my sins,’
or
‘I wish I had never committed such sins
for now I would be in paradise,’
or
‘That person there is leaving before me,’
or
‘I will leave before that other one.’

They cannot remember the good and evil in their past nor that of others.

Such is their joy in God’s will, in His pleasure that they have no concern for themselves but dwell only on their joy in God’s will,
in having Him do what He will.

They see only the goodness of God,
His mercy toward men.
Should they be aware of other good and evil theirs would not be perfect charity.

They do not see that their suffering is due to their sins for that awareness would be a want of perfection
and in purgatory souls cannot sin.

Only once do the souls understand
the reason for their purgatory:
the moment in which they leave this life.
After that moment, that knowledge disappears.

Immersed in charity, incapable of deviating from it,
They can only will or desire pure love.
There is no joy save that in paradise
to be compared with the joy of the souls in purgatory.

This joy increases day by day."

~St. Catherine of Genoa, Treatise on Purgatory.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Purgatory scares me horribly. This offers some comfort. Thank you.