Thursday, February 7, 2008

Couldn't resist...

So, I'm supposed to be studying Pascal. But this was too funny. Nathaniel Peters over at the First Things blog posted new lyrics for “These Are a Few of My Favorite Things.”

(It's even funnier for those of us who just had to sit through yet another Ash Wednesday round of "We rise again from ashes!/From the good we've failed to do!/We rise again from ashes!/to create ourselves anew!" Pelagianism lives.)

But here are the lyrics:

Sackcloth and ashes and days without eating,
Mortification and wailing and weeping,
A hair shirt that scratches, a nettle that stings –
These are a few of my favorite things!

Penitence, flagellants, memento mori,
Spending nights sleeping on rocks in a quarry,
The sound of a cloaked solemn cantor who sings –
These are still more of my favorite things!

Tossing and turning and yearning, I’m spurning!
Passions aflame like an ember-day burning,
Corpus and carnis and wild drunken flings –
Forsaken are they for my favorite things!

When it’s Christmas,
When the tree’s lit,
When the cards are sent…
I simply remember my favorite things –
And then I can’t waaaaaaaaait ’til Lent!

No comments: