Monday, October 1, 2007

The Little Doctor

Today the Church celebrates the feast of St. Therese of Lisieux--probably the most famous "modern saint" and known most popularly as the "little flower." I've had a tumultuous relationship with Therese. In fact, I so disliked what I perceived to be simpering cuteness that for a while she was to me the "little weed." I think she chuckled.

But towards the end of high school, I read Therese of Lisieuxby Those Who Knew Her, a collection of the testimonies from witnesses at her beatification process. Hot dang. This girl was no cutie. She was real and muscular and full of the passion of Christ. She was simply a life totally surrendered to the incarnate God.

Her "little way" and all the "littles" that accompany her--well, she was a woman of littleness. With her clear vision, she could see how tiny the human being and the whole human race is. On the other end of the spectrum, she perceived the enormity of God and the vastness of a Love that would bridge eternity to be with his creatures. Her very littleness was the source of her joy in God's mercy and love.

So let us be little and joyful.

No comments: