Saturday, September 5, 2009

Blessed Mother Teresa

Somehow "Blessed Teresa of Calcutta" hasn't caught on yet--she is still "Mother Teresa" twelve years after her death. Today is her anniversary, and I wanted to remember her as one of the greatest thinkers I have ever read. But she would think that silly: instead, she is one of the greatest mothers of our time.

Here is a beautiful memorial piece from First Things: "She silenced even a Jesuit who joked that she seemed to be getting smaller: “Yes, and I must get smaller until I am small enough to fit into the heart of Jesus.”"


4 comments:

Melanie Bettinelli said...

I love that picture of her. The fierceness in her eyes, the tenderness in her grasp of the child.

Erika Ahern said...

Yes, it's a favorite!

Jennifer said...

One of the greatest mothers she is! Beautiful blog!

Anne said...

"Small enough to fit into the heart of Jesus!" I love that! I have never heard that quote before! I think she is the most beautiful woman ever, and I agree with Melanie's comment. But when she's smiling-oh-nothing says love more than those wrinkles on her face!