Friday, July 8, 2011

First Friday.

The madness of the move!

I was convinced that today was the first Friday in July, but found it to be the second. I was sure it was Saturday, but then it was Friday. The second Friday.

I woke up thinking I was in Georgia, but I was in CT (I'm still not ready to try and spell that).

I dressed thinking I still lived in the woods, but Todd reminded me that our bedroom window looks into ... the neighbor's bedroom window. Oops.

It is good to be here and to start what we hope to be our life in a permanent location (Deo gratias), but we are all a little disoriented. So, instead of a blog post weighing the responsibilities and gifts of a Roman Catholic using an Orthodoc curriculum; instead of a post contemplating the meaning of mortal sin; instead of wondering about the human condition, its application to 3-year-old angst, and the repercussions of sleeplessness on my NFP charts...

I give you, TS Eliot:

Here is a place of disaffection
Time before and time after
In a dim light: neither daylight
Investing form with lucid stillness
Turning shadow into transient beauty
With slow rotation suggesting permanence
Nor darkness to purify the soul
Emptying the sensual with deprivation
Cleansing affection from the temporal.
Neither plenitude nor vacancy. Only a flicker
Over the strained time-ridden faces
Distracted from distraction by distraction
Filled with fancies and empty of meaning
Tumid apathy with no concentration
Men and bits of paper, whirled by the cold wind
That blows before and after time,
Wind in and out of unwholesome lungs
Time before and time after.

3 comments:

Alishia said...

Connect-i-cut!

I changed charting methods because I was worried about the effects of sleeplessness on my NFP charts--also the effects of my children stealing my thermometer. But it took four kids in under five years to really make me serious.

Melanie Bettinelli said...

You can NEVER go wrong with Eliot. Especially not the exquisite Four Quartets.

And re sleeplessness and NFP....I'm seriously contemplating making the investment in a fertility monitor.

Erika Ahern said...

Sleeplessness and NFP... sigh. I'm like Danielle Bean (in at least this respect!) in that breastfeeding means ALWAYS FERTILE! I tried Clearblue after our Bella and, well, then came Ana. And I'm so glad. I've heard great things about Lady-Comp (a Euro model), but it's pricey! Trust, trust, trust... "He who follows me will never walk in darkness."