Sunday, April 29, 2012

Miriam the Scripture Scholar

After a long two days of retreat, crowned with the intensity of her first Confession, Miriam sat in the back of the van as I drove her home alone. She was exhausted, but happy, and watched out the window in her usual dreamy state of contemplation.

"Mummy. I was thinking."

"Yes?"

"I get to receive these two sacraments for my whole life!"

"Yes, Miriam, they are the greatest gift!"

"And, Mummy," she continued, "They must always go together."

I thought she was just parroting back Todd and my own mantras to her (and to each other!). The two go together.

"Good, Mim," I smiled. "That's right."

But she continued.

"Because, Mummy, it reminds me of two parables Our Lord gave us."

"Oh?"

"Yes. The parable of the 10 Wise Virgins and the parable of the Unworthy Guest. The Virgins who were ready for the bridegroom to come were like having Confession before the Communion. And the unworthy guest did not."

Huh. Did not see that one coming. She's been spending hours with the Good Shepherd, the True Vine, and the Found Coin, but she remembers the virgins and the unworthy guest. There is no guile in her interpretation of the Word--the Scripture clarify for her and give her a picture with which to understand what is happening in her soul these two glorious days and for the rest of her life.

1 comment:

Melanie Bettinelli said...

What a great insight!

Congratulations to Miriam.

How nice that she was able to make a retreat before her first confession and first communion. I wish I was in contact with a local group that Bella could join for such things. The only Catholic homeschoolers I know in MA are all on the North Shore and though I joined the group, we haven't been able to make it to a single event. They are just too far away to be practical.